How can you go wrong with fresh cilantro and curry, this is a flavour sensation! This is one of my favorite family meals to make because ground turkey is budget friendly and healthy. You are going to want to have leftovers because the longer this sits the more flavourful it becomes. If you don’t have garam masala just use curry powder. Get ready for your house to smell amazing!
- 3-4 Tbsp coconut oil)
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 chopped onion
- 1-2 chopped fresh red chiles (optional)
- Salt to taste
- A 1-inch piece of peeled ginger, grated fine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 Tbsp garam masala (or curry powder)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 large Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2-4 Roma or other plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1/2 cup (loosely packed) chopped cilantro or parsley
1 Heat the coconut oil over medium-high heat in a large pot with a lid. When the oil is hot, add the ground turkey, spreading it out over the pan. Try not to crowd the meat (you may need to cook in batches). Cook the meat without stirring, until it begins to brown.
2 Add the chopped onions and chiles. Stir and sauté for 4-5 minutes, or until the onion begins to color a bit. Sprinkle salt over everything.
3 Add the grated ginger and garlic, mix well and sauté for another 1-2 minutes.
4 Mix in the spices (garam masala, turmeric, cumin, coriander), water and the potatoes. Stir to combine and cover. Turn the heat down to medium-low and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
5 When the potatoes are tender, add the diced tomatoes and peas. Mix well and cover the pot. Cook 2-3 minutes. Add salt, if needed, to taste.
Right before you serve, mix in the chopped cilantro. Serve alone or with flatbread or rice.