Is the wilderness calling you to the beautiful JDF trail or the breath taking beaches of the West Coast Trail? Both these hikes are amazing and have their challenges. Are you ready but not sure where to start? The planning can be overwhelming. I have hiked both these trails several times from both directions, as well several of the local mountains in Vancouver, in Bolivia and Peru’s 8 day mountain trek to Machu Picchu. I’ve taken all the do’s and don’ts from my experiences and designed Trail-FIT to give you all the information you will need, so you can plan your next single day or multi-day hiking adventure with confidence.
“When is the best time of year to go?”
“How long of a hike can I physically do?”
“Am I fit enough?”
“What gear do I want to bring and what gear do I REALLY NEED?”
“Will I be safe?”
“Do I have a backup plan if I get injured on the trail?”
“How will I organize my transportation before and after?”
“How well do I really know my hiking buddy?”
What to expect
- 9:00am-10:30 at Mel-FIT X-Training Center (1039 Langford Parkway) Start the day with a workout in your runners, then switch into your hiking boots and your fully loaded backpack and repeat the workout again, this gives you a sense of what you’re in for!
- 10:30-12:30 Pack Chat and Safety! We will go through common concerns that many new hikers have. Starting with what essentials to pack along with the pro’s and con’s of each item. We will show you the “Smart Pack” system for your backpack and all its items, as well how to fit the backpack to your body. Once we’re comfortable with our packs, we’ll discuss trip planning, trail safety and first aid kits.
- 12:30pm – 3:00pm With packs ready we leave for Witty’s Lagoon, in Metchosin (approximately a 15 minute drive, you are responsible for your own transportation). With packs on, we hike 1km to the beach. From there, we will set up a mock camp and cook our meals on our stoves, just as if you were to arrive at your destination and set up for the night. I will bring several freeze dried meals for you to sample! We will discuss camp safety, animals in the area, where your food goes at night, fire set up etc.
- 3:30pm-5:00pm – Pack ‘er up! We will set our timers and take it all apart, this way you have a very good idea of how long set up and take down is. This is VERY important because if you’re planning your hike along the beach, you have to be ahead of the tide coming in. By doing all this, you will feel confident and ready for whatever adventure you choose to do. After we’ve packed up and have left no trace, we hike back up the trail to the parking lot!
- Workout gear
- Runners and weather appropriate clothing for hike down to beach
- Snacks and your lunch
If you can bring your hiking boots and ALL your hiking camping gear in your bag ready to go, you will get a truer experience. If you do not have all your gear, please borrow a backpack and fill it with 30lbs. of sand bags or water bottles.
Contact Mel for more information.